Thursday, February 5, 2009

Finding God in little things

Dear friends,
As I was driving into work this morning, I had to constantly find alternative ways to go, since the roads I typically drive on were closed due to a police officer's funeral at the cathedral. But when I reflect on this morning, I realized that God was teaching me patience. Here I was, late as it was since I overslept by 30 minutes or so, hitting road closures. I usually get to work around 9 AM. I didn't leave this morning until 9 AM, where I usually leave at 8:20-8:30. And instead of it taking me 30 minutes to get to work, it took me an hour. Everything was working against me this morning.

But yet, I reflect. Everything happens for a reason. Perhaps it prevented me getting in an accident, or some other thing. I know I was being taught patience, and I think I did ok in that department this morning. I didn't pass with flying colors, and I know that in order to be saint-like one must be ready to see God in everything and be ready to accept it. My problem with many things is that when something happens, I don't necessarily think about God, but rather about the problem. I tend to reflect on it afterwards. One of the constant criticisms about myself is that I fail to see God in every situation I face throughout the day, and as a result I kind of wonder why I don't think about God more often throughout the day. For Pete's sake, I work in a priestly vocations office for the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. I should be thinking more about God, but in the little mundane things of the day, I fail to see God, but rather, I focus on the mundane thing itself. I have noticed this before, and yet I never seem to do any better at it.

I need to continually strive to find God in the little things.

No comments: